Lens MC Zenitar 16/2 .8 «Fish-eye» modified for Nikon mount and called Zenitar-N. Likely this name due to the fact that mount type «N» or «H» is the same as the mount of the type «F» (Nikon). Mount type «H» have had the camera Kiev-17, 18, 19 and etc. The lens at the moment is available for systems Canon (with transitional ring), Nikon (with native camera mount), Sony (with transitional ring) and Pentax (with native mount lenses). Be careful that when you select on your system have taken precisely the lens or the lens + adapter.
As can be seen from the title, this is the lens of class «Fish-eye». In everyday life simply «Fish-eye», or more seriously: short super wide-angle lens. Zenitar-N 16/2 .8N refers to the diagonal of the «Fish-eye» lens, this means that a large angle of view of 180 degrees he will give only on the diagonal of the frame and only on full frame.
First impression: the lens is quite small, very well compiled. Attracts the attention of an inscription Made in Russia, because the lens is still produced in Russia in Krasnogorsk plant (Zenit). The lens is the distinctive emblem of the plant. Further to itself attracts an unusual front lid and the amazing curved front lens.
Important moments in MC Zenitar-N 16/2 .8:
1. Wide angle in 16mm. With film cameras under 35mm film lens will give the angle of view of 180 degrees on the diagonal. But the crop matrix, for example on my Nikon D200, and the D40, the angle of view is equivalent to 24mm on full frame. And 24mm this there is the usual wide-angle lens. For example, if You have the lens on the type of the 18-55, or any other, starting with the 18mm, as compared with Zenitar-N it will give an angle of slightly narrower the field of view a little wider). The only major difference is the characteristic of perspective distortion, which gives Zenitar-N.
2. Typical distortion of perspective. The lens has a strong barrel distortion, which in this case is not a problem, but the original feature. The image acquires an unusual view, the line at the edge of the frame strongly bend opening for a photographer flight for songs and interesting ideas. I know for myself, that before that he really wanted to play this lens, but when he gets in the hands, come up with a good track from the barrel дисторсией not so easy.
3. A large aperture. F/2.8 — big aperture. With it, the lens is sharp enough already with a fully open aperture.
4. The lens is very compact, lightweight and durable. In the best traditions of the Soviet optics — glass and iron.
5. Lens manual, and it means, that on what would cool the camera from Nikon You are not attached Zenitar-N, he will not have auto focus. Focus will have to manually, it is not difficult, using a wide-angle lens. On the cameras Nikon confirmation of a successful focus will serve as a green dot in the lower left corner of the viewfinder.
6. The lens has no chips contact with the camera and for metering will only work on older cameras Nikon, such as the Nikon D200, D300(s), D7000, D2(x,h,s) and all full-frame. And it means, that on the cameras by type Nikon D40, D90, etc. of photograph will be possible only in mode, M (manual mode, the camera control). It is not always convenient. More in detail about different measurements and compatibility read in my article Soviet optics.
7. The lens is present jumping aperture. This means that operated on the sharpness can be at full aperture, and make the picture on the importance put on a ring of an iris control. It is very convenient and allows you to manage the diaphragm. If you do not understand about jumping aperture, then briefly to say, that everything will work as a native lens Nikon.
8. The lens does not support the use of protective and gradient filters. Simply have nowhere to screw protection filter, and Yes even front lens has a bulge.
9. The lens has a clever mechanism of using the photo filters, they do not need to be attached in front of the lens, but they are mounted in the REAR of the lens. The set includes 3 filter. The only have to remove the lens from the camera before installing or replacing the filter. This is a rather rare phenomenon, although this has its advantages, the value of the filter is very small, and consequently it reduces the cost of their production. When the lens is not dressed none of color filters on the lens must be compensates for the transparent filter. However, to get additional filters under the thread Zenitar-N 16 2.8 will be quite a problem.
10. The lens there is a wonderful scale of depth of field and iris control. The DOF the lens just elegant, already with a fully open aperture DOF is very big.
11. The lens is suitable for full-frame cameras Nikon. The truth is that people who have a Nikon D700 or D3(x,s), probably can afford to use their native lens with auto focus.
12. While focusing front block the lens pops out slightly in front, about half a centimeter.
Focus on the lens is pretty simple, basically I have the lens is in the focus at infinity. Twist need to focus ring only in the case if the object of focus is closer than 1.5 m. Yes and depth of sharpness of the lens just elegant. The only expected him to see a wider angle of the crop factor, but 16mm is 16mm. Filmed them chess tournament in a closed room at hand is the Tamron 17-50 2.8, both lenses were given almost the same wide angle of view on the short end, the only, the Zenitar-N 16 2.8 was sometimes an interesting picture.
Attention: this is not the old lens, it is available to this day and is popular with photographers and videographers. I have many times seen Zenitar of 2.8/16 on modern cameras, as my colleague removes them a video of the Canon 60D. If you need more information on various kinds of compatibility and delicate issues. Pay your attention that on DX cameras this lens will not give super wide-angle and super distortion, for this you need to use special «Fish-eye» for a crop camera (DX), or «Fish-eye» with even a shorter focal length.
Picture: all is simple — the picture is interesting, sharpness and there are at F2.8, if close to F5.6, the sharpness becomes just fabulous. HA remain practically on all aperture settings. Distortion strongest — on it and a «Fish-eye». The contrast is excellent. The lens is very tolerant of back and side light, a little bit of catching the «hares». Sharpness in the corners practically does not fall on my crop matrix. Vignetting is also not visible. But, in order to fully reveal the potential of Zenitar-N 16 2.8, it should be used on a full-frame, for a system of this Nikon film camera or a-frame Nikon D700, D3(x,s).
Very interesting Soviet manual lens. Perfect for people who need a wide angle, as well as for the photo experiments with an interesting «flexible» picture, which gives the fish-eye. Personally I would add that the lens really have to learn how to use them to order, how to make masterpieces.
Visit my Other REVIEWs.
Thanks for raading. Arkadii Shapoval.